Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Radical Experiment Take One

So I just finished reading "Radical" by David Platt (incredible book), at the end of which he proposes a "radical experiment." The radical experiment really isn't all that radical, so it's something even this lukewarm Christian is ready to attempt.

I decided to blog my experiences with this experiment--my inevitable failures, along with the ways that God is changing me through it--so that hopefully some of you can be inspired to try it too. Can you imagine what this world would look like if all of us lukewarm believers started living (even a little bit) radically???

The radical experiment is as follows:

Over the next year....
  1. I will pray for the entire world.
  2. I will read through the entire Word
  3. I will sacrifice my money for a specific purpose.
  4. I will spend my time in another context
  5. I will commit my life to multiplying community


For me, I am choosing to commit to the following:
1. I will pray for a different country or people group every day for the next 365 days.
2. I will continue how I am currently reading and make sure that I read through the entire Bible at least once in the next 365 days.
3. David emphasizes the sacrifice part of this commitment. So I will sacrifice by giving my personal spending money, giving my money for new clothes, and/or selling my "stuff"so that I will have enough money to give a well through world vision. I will NOT sacrifice my current giving to provide money for this.
4-5 I still need to pray about these two...but by the end of this year I will serve God for at least one week (David's suggestion) somewhere outside of my general area (albany OR western NY for me), and I will become plugged into a small group of believers who are intent on discipling others.



~Sarah~


PS: I might be a little bit terrified about number 3 right now...I figured out how much money I could afford to give if I took away all "luxury" spending, and it was about 1/5 the cost of a well!!!!! Hahahahaha...this should be one exciting adventure of a ride!!!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment