Sunday, October 24, 2010

epic failure?

This "radical experiment" was very much on my mind and heart as I was driving home from church today. I drove past a man with a shopping cart fishing cans out of a garbage can. All I could think about was how cold he must be and whether or not he was hungry. I decided to give him some money, so I drove to the nearest ATM to get some cash. It took FOREVER.

By the time I had found my way back to the street where I had first found the man, he was nowhere in sight. Fail #1. At least I'm now saving my cash so that the NEXT time I have the urge to give someone money I'll actually have some.


I drove all around Albany talking with God, mostly about my complete inability to listen to His voice. As I was driving, I saw this woman sitting on the steps of a church building. This woman had been there half an hour before when I had driven by to find an ATM.


Filled with both compassion and fear, I decided to stop. Unfortunately for me, I have absolutely no idea how to start a conversation with strangers. I tried, I honestly tried my best, but I'll be honest, it was awkward. 


But the horrible thing is, when I asked if she was OK, there were tears in her eyes. She told me there was no reason why she would not be alright. We went back and forth and back and forth, exchanging little more than pleasantries. When I asked her if she wanted to talk, tears welled up in her eyes and she almost completely broke down. But she said no. Repeatedly. 


I asked for wisdom, but I had so much trouble hearing Daddy's voice. I didn't know if I should stay or go. I didn't know what to do. So I just sat there. I sat there. And I waited. And I prayed. 


And then she got up and left. No conversation. No sharing of the Gospel. Just a quiet afternoon sitting silent on the steps of the church together.


But...I had compassion and I took action. I think it's a start. But I have so, so, so much to learn.....




~Sarah~

No comments:

Post a Comment